At Meridian High School our aim is to ensure that every student has a clear understanding of what it is possible for them to achieve and how they can achieve it.
In particular, we are determined that when our students leave our family at the end of year 11 they are going to embark on the right path for them: the one that gives them the best chance of having a prosperous and meaningful adult life.
In order to make this happen we ensure that:
- conversations around future careers begin in year 7 and continue throughout the next 5 years.
- All students’ have access to online careers advice programmes.
- All students participate in careers activities that are delivered on our REACH days.
- All students have at least 2 visits to University during their time at school.
- KS4 students have assemblies and motivational talks from employers and local colleges.
- KS4 students participate in a Careers Fair.
- KS4 students have the chance to meet successful and inspirational individuals who share their life experiences with our students.
- KS4 students receive 1-2-1 interviews from qualified careers advisors.
CAREERS POLICY STATEMENT ON PROVIDER ACCESS
This policy statement sets out the school’s arrangements for managing the access of providers to pupils at the school for the purpose of giving them information about the provider’s education or training offer. This complies with the school’s legal obligations under Section 42B of the Education Act 1997.
All pupils in Years 7-11 are entitled:
· to find out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeships opportunities, as part of a careers programme which provides information on the full range of education and training options available at each transition point
· to hear from a range of local providers about the opportunity they offer, including technical education and apprenticeships – through options events, assemblies and group discussions and taster events
· to understand how to make applications for the full range of academic and technical courses
Management of Provider Access Requests
A provider wishing to request access should contact:
Mrs Susan Oakley
Telephone: 020 3943 1328 ext: 1646
Opportunities for Access
A number of events, integrated into the school careers programme, will offer providers an opportunity to come into school to speak to pupils and/or their parents/carers.
Premises and Facilities
The school will make the Main Hall, Library, meeting rooms and Training Room available for discussions between the provider and students, as appropriate to the activity. The school will also make available audio/visual and other specialist equipment to support provider presentations. This will be discussed and agreed in advance of the visit with the Careers Leader or a member of the team.
Providers are welcome to leave a copy of their prospectus or other relevant course literature at the Careers Centre in the Library, which is managed, by the Careers Leader. The Careers Centre is available to all students at lunch and break times and after school.