The timings of the day and lateness
The school day starts with registration at 8.45am for years 7 and 8. We expect all students in these year groups to arrive at the School by 8.35am and to be at their relevant areas for tutor or assembly by 8.40am.
Any student late after 9.00am will receive an automatic detention after school on the same day.
The school day starts at 9.00am for years 9,10 and 11 with students going straight to their period 1 lesson. We expect all students in these year groups to arrive at school by 8:50am and to be ready to learn in their lessons by 9.00am.
Any student late after 9.15am will receive an automatic detention after school on the same day.
Excellent attendance is important because:
We want all students to take advantage of the opportunities provided by the School. Evidence shows that there is a direct link between attendance and achievement. Students not in school are more at risk of failing to achieve. In addition, they run a greater risk of getting involved in crime or becoming victims of crime.
The law requires that parents/carers are responsible for ensuring that their children attend school and are on time. This guide will explain clearly what our expectations are regarding attendance and punctuality and how we will deal with any problems or issues to do with your son/daughter in this area.
Attendance and Punctuality
We expect your son/daughter to be in the School every day on time unless:
- He/She is too ill to attend (Medical evidence required);
- He/She has a medical appointment that can only be made in School time (Medical evidence required);
This is where your son/daughter has been absent and the absence has not been explained, or we do not consider the reason for the absence to be acceptable.
This occurs when your son/daughter misses school without authorisation or registers for school but does not then attend lessons. We will not accept truancy and we will inform you of any suspected truancy. We will place your son/daughter in a detention, for a single incident of truancy or deliberate lateness to lessons.
Leave of absence in Term Time
If you require your son/daughter to be absent from School for extreme circumstances you will need to request a leave of absence application form from the Attendance Team.
The Headteacher will consider these requests on an individual basis taking into account the student’s attendance record and the circumstances surrounding the request.
What will we do to monitor attendance and punctuality?
- We will contact you on the first day of absence, at home or work, if you have not previously informed us of the reason why your son/daughter is absent;
- Send you an absence letter if we have not been able to contact you after 3 days;
- Send you attendance and punctuality statistics each term as part of our progress reports;
- Contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss any concerns we have over attendance and persistent issues with punctuality.
Fixed Penalty Notices
- Any parent who takes their son/daughter on a leave of absence during term time without the correct authorisation will be issued with a fixed penalty notice. A warning letter will be sent upon application.
- Any student with less than 95% attendance or with 5 or more sessions (2.5 days) of unauthorised absence will be sent a warning letter and if no improvement is made then a fixed penalty notice fine will be issued.
Guidance for parents/carers
- Reinforce our expectations regarding full attendance and excellent punctuality with your son/daughter;
- Support staff when we take action over punctuality or truancy, for example, issuing detentions;
- Let us know of any change in contact details immediately; Contact the School to inform us about any absence, the same day if possible;
- Ensure that your child completes any work that has been sent home or that he/she catches up with any work that they have missed.
Contacting the School
Please contact us as soon as possible to inform us of any absence the same day.
To report any absence, inform us of any future absence or advise us of changes to contact details, please contact the School and ask to speak to the Attendance Office who will take the necessary details. Any other issues or concerns should be made to your child’s form tutor who will who deal with these in the first instance.