What is Textiles for at Meridian High School?
To develop a passion for the creative world of Fashion and Textiles ensuring students have a broad range of skills in understanding materials, commercial practices within the industry, how to work with and choose a wide variety of materials to work with whilst manufacturing a range of quality products designed by them.
Why does Textiles as a subject matter?
It is vital that our students have the opportunity to develop a passion for the more creative subjects and all of the many opportunities it can give them. Textiles will allow them to develop their more creative sides and if they have a passion for interior, fashion, sports, theatre and technical based design they will be able to use this as a spring board for following these varied career paths in the future.
What does Textiles help young people to achieve?
It is a particularly good preparation for A-level Design and Technology (Fashion & Textiles), related level 3 vocational qualifications, A-levels or an apprenticeship in a related area of employment. This qualification prepares learners by developing an in depth knowledge of textile based materials and their practical use within the fashion industry. Learners will also develop valuable transferable skills in teamwork and communication that will be of value to them no matter what career they choose to follow.
Topics covered in Year 7:
- Underwater themed bag
- Mini monster project
- Introduction to Textiles
- Pattern templates
- Sewing machines and safety in the classroom
Topics covered in Year 8:
- London themed cushion
- Pop Art Cushion
- Development of design solutions
- Decorative techniques
- Clients and their needs
Topics covered in Year 9:
- Foundation skills project
- Fibres module
- Fabric construction module
- Purses and bags project
- Pyjamas project
- Character hot water bottle covers
- Emoji cushions
Topics covered in Year 10:
- investigation, primary and secondary data
- environmental, social and economic challenge
- the work of others
- design strategies
- communication of design ideas
- prototype development
- selection of materials and components
- material management
- specialist tools and equipment
- specialist techniques and processes
Topics covered in Year 11:
- new and emerging technologies
- energy generation and storage
- developments in new materials
- systems approach to designing
- mechanical devices
- materials and their working properties
GCSE Design and Technology
Additional learning resources:
- AQA GCSE (9-1) Design and technology
In this section you can find a copy of every knowledge organiser for every subject, in each year group. This list is updated throughout the academic year. These are found via this link: