Students are expected to wear the full Meridian High School uniform with pride and to be of smart and sensible appearance at all times. The requirement for students to wear the Meridian High School uniform is intended to develop their sense of belonging to our family and to encourage them to take pride in their appearance. Students are expected to wear full school uniform on the way to and from the School as they are representing our community.
The following rules apply to all students and are non-negotiable:
- Top button of shirt must be fastened.
- Ties should be securely tied covering the top button, fully displaying the school logo.
- Shirts must be tucked in.
- Skirts must not be rolled and should be around knee length.
- Shoes must be formal, plain, black and polishable.
- Hair should be well presented and smart.
- Piercings are restricted to the ears, where students may wear only stud earrings. Hooped earrings and rings are not acceptable for safety reasons.
- If hairbands are worn, they must be plain in colour with no patterns or adornments.
- If make-up is worn, it should not be visible.
- Where the hijab is worn for religious reasons, it must be plain in colour with no patterns or adornments.
- None of the following are permitted:
- Eye lash extensions
- Tinted or cosmetic contact lenses
- Decorative dental wear
- Facial studs
- Nail extensions
- Bandannas and baseball caps
- Other visible jewellery
Any student in breach of our uniform rules will be either sent home to correct the issue or isolated until the uniform is correct, as per the school’s rules (in certain circumstances a dated note from a medical professional provided to the Head of House may result in a temporary exception). Jewellery and other forbidden items will be confiscated.
Essential items of uniform, e.g. school blazer, house ties, school jumpers and PE kit, are only available from Meridian High School. These essential items are provided free of charge for all new entrants in advance of their first day. Subsequent replacement items are available from the school shop (payment to be made via our school website) at cost.
When temperatures are forecasted to be over 25°C, there will be a ‘shirt sleeve order’ in place. Students are encouraged to leave their blazers and jumpers at home and to carry water with them at all times. Other than blazers and jumpers, the uniform must still be worn properly according to policy. Students who wear skirts are encouraged to bring black ankle socks to change into if there is a ‘shirt sleeve order’ in place, which they then may wear instead of tights.
The following document provides further information about the uniform, where it can be purchased and how it should be worn.